Saturday 4 February 2012

The Night Circus

The Author: Erin Morgentern
Published: September 15th 2011
Pages: 387

Synopsis: In 1886, a mysterious travelling circus becomes an international sensation. Open only at night, constructed entirely in black and white, Le Cirque des Reves delights all who wander its circular paths and warm themselves at its bonfire. Although there are acrobats, fortune-tellers and contortionists, the Circus of Dreams is no conventional spectacle. Some tents contain clouds, some ice. The circus seems almost to cast a spell over its aficionados, who call themselves the reveurs - the dreamers. At the heart of the story is the tangled relationship between two young magicians, Celia, the enchanter's daughter, and Marco, the sorcerer's apprentice. At the behest of their shadowy masters, they find themselves locked in a deadly contest, forced to test the very limits of the imagination, and of their love...A fabulous, fin-de-siecle feast for the senses and a life-affirming love story, The Night Circus is a captivating novel that will make the real world seem fantastical and a fantasy world real.

What i thought of the cover: Out of the several covers available for this book, I would defiantly say in my opinion that this one was my favourite out of them all. I love how the stars sparkle silver for a great twinkling effect and how most of the colour is black and white keeping to the theme of the circus in the book aswell as how the red scarf stands out also relating to the book in it’s own way. Most of all I love the way the white silhouettes of the two main characters are designed, giving a mysterious and magical feel.

I give it a 5 out of 5 stars

What i thought of the story: I am not used to reading books where every chapter follows a different person that lets you see what their role in the story is, but I must say I love how this is achieved throughout the book for it lets you know more than just what the main characters are thinking and how they are tied into the plot that comes together for an unexpected ending. At points in the book you actually feel as if you are part of the crowd at the circus witnessing all the excitement and you might even feel as if yourself are a part of the reveurs ( Let‘s just say next time I go to a circus I‘m looking out for people in black with red scarves on). Though at times the plot could go be a bit slow paced the story was very addicting (So much so I stayed up the whole night to finish it) and indeed it let my imagination wander far into depths of believing the unbelievable.

I give it a 4.5 out of 5 stars

Now it’s just up to the imagination from where the circus goes on from there.

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds really amazing! I love that it kept you up because the story was so addicting and how in each chapter it follows a different person, how cool! Thanks for such an awesome review! :)

    ReplyDelete