Friday 24 February 2012

Looking For Alaska

The Author: John Green
Published: April 1st 2011
Pages:263

Synopsis:  "In the dark beside me, she smelled of sweat and sunshine and vanilla and on that thin-mooned night I could see little more than her silhouette, but even in the dark, I could see her eyes -- fierce emeralds. And not just beautiful, but hot too."

BEFORE. Miles Halter's whole life has been one big non-event until he starts at anything-but-boring Culver Creek Boarding School and meets Alaska Young. Gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, screwed up and utterly fascinating she pulls Miles into her world, launches him into a new life, and steals his heart. But when tragedy strikes, and Miles comes face-to-face with death he discovers the value of living and loving unconditionally. AFTER: Nothing will ever be the same. Poignant, funny, heartbreaking and compelling, this novel will stay with you forever.

What i thought of the cover: Out of the several different coves that are available I do prefer this one because I love the way the heart is in the water and how it symbolises deep emotion, also cause I think it looks pretty too of course. Of course I’m a geek for photography and even at times photo manipulation, so this simple cover I adore.

I give it a 4 out of 5 stars

What i thought of the story: Being somewhat put off by Will Grayson Will Grayson, which I didn’t like very much, I wasn’t really in a hurry to pick up any books by the two authors, however Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns were two of the books I wanted to read long before Will Grayson Will Grayson was ever out so when I saw Looking for Alaska in The Works I picked it up thinking why not since this was a different story. I’m very glad I did for this story was fantastic though it is defiantly an older teen read for there are some parts which are a bit … not what younger people should be reading. The question of the meaning of life and what happens after death is one that people have been trying to answer for many many years and this book dose get you thinking about all the possibilities to answer the questions, being there so many different answers though there really isn’t a true answer out there and sometimes that can really hit people at home like Miles in the story. John Green done a great job of portraying Miles emotions going from one thing to the next like how a lot of us can be at times. He’s defiantly done well with the humour though I loved the pranks they pulled off the best (Which he actually based off what he and his friends done for their senior prank http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lht_JH2xi6w) Genius or what.

I give it a 4 out of 5 stars

Now since I’m a senior and only have a year and a bit of school left, what should our ultimate school prank be, providing I can get the whole year involved and not get arrested in the process. This could be harder than I thought.

P.S The worst anyone has really ever done for the S6 last day school prankathon is put golden syrup on the school banisters, TP the teachers cars and protest for gay peoples rights (all in the same day and that was when I was in S4).

No comments:

Post a Comment