Saturday 21 April 2012

Barking At Winston

The Author: Barry Stone
Published: September 22end 2011
Pages: 202


Synopsis: When Bruce, an abandoned puppy, is adopted by a lively family, he encounters more affection than ever before. With humour and charm, he describes his life with his loving but troubled owners, and offers a sometimes hilarious insight into the world from a dog's point of view. But when the family is threatened, Bruce lends a paw, and uses his canine second sight to guide the family through some difficult times.

What i thought of the cover: I’ll just say before I start that I couldn’t find the exact picture of the cover I had but the only difference was instead of the long red writing above the authors name it just simply says “How a rescue dog saved his family…” which I much prefer. My photo loving senses are tingling especially since it’s a cute doggy on the front ^^. I like how it’s just a nice simple design when it come to the title.

Over all I give the cover a 4 out of 5 stars

What i thought of the story: I Love stories to do with animals so you can imagine my delight when my parents got me a signed copy of a book about a dog. It was certainly interesting being set in 1976 and I really felt quite emotional at poor Brucie waiting on deaths row at the kennel. I was happy when he was adopted by a family though and I loved how he was acting, thinking and talking how a dog might. Throughout the course of the book Brucie keeps mentioning Her Hoityness who I think he both admires and pity’s but I just love how she’s the one Brucie can confine in even though she not there with him. When it comes to the family I just love the way the siblings act like siblings - Half fighting half joking around, oh yes I can relate. The one member I particularly liked though was Craig and discovering what he’s been going through and how he’s more like his father than he’ll ever know. If there’s one thing I can’t stand though it’s cars and that’s a bit of a strong theme in this book which sadly I found boring at those points in the book. I’m also a little confused about the ending as to what happens to Brucie though I did like it. However I do feel there could have been more to the story.

Overall I give it a 3.5 out of 5 stars

Did anyone else get dragged to car auctions and DIY stores when the were young ?

No comments:

Post a Comment